Monday, August 20, 2007

The Day before D – Day

Much has happened since my last entry. I returned to Atmautluak the evening of the 10th of August; to late to see if my boxes from home had arrived. First thing Saturday morning I was at the Post Office waiting for the Postmaster to open the door. I felt like a little kid waiting for mom and dad to get out of bed on Christmas morning.
I followed her inside and she said “I can’t remember; what’s your name?” I thought, is she pulling my leg or does she really not remember? There are only three new people in the village. How hard can it be to remember the only white guy in town? Anyhow, I told her and she began looking.
She started handing out box after box after box and one large envelope. There were so many boxes that I had to go to the school and get a hand cart to move them all; even then it too three trips. It was like Christmas morning. I never thought that getting boxes of your own stuff that you packed could be so much fun.
As I opened each box and put each item away, I wondered what I was thinking when I packed this stuff. For example, the box of blankets and books held no joy for me after it was emptied.
I was surprised by the envelope that I received, however. My daughter in law, Brooke, wrote me a nice letter and made some cards with photographs for me to hang in my home. I would like to go now public record, here and now, and proclaim to the world and everyone in it that I love Brooke. I failed to make that clear before I left home and if I should die in a fiery plane crash tomorrow Brooke can now rest assured that she is loved by me. Thank you Brooke, for the nice letter and the pictures; I have hanging on my refrigerator like a good grandpa should.
I left home a week early so I could move all of my books and furniture into my new classroom before I went off for training. My plan was to be settled in so I could focus on writing lesson plans and then be ready to teach on the 20th. That plan was flawed from the start. When I arrived, no one on site knew which classrooms were assigned to whom. I couldn’t move anything. My boss arrived the evening of the 14th and we had district level training all day on the 15th. You guessed it, nothing got moved. Finally on Thursday, the 16th, we started moving everything for all four classrooms all at once. What a nightmare that was! At the same time, two ladies from the district office arrived to provide the new teacher with some help on the education system that we use. What they did mostly was help me unpack and start setting up my classroom. We worked until 10:30 that night. I was back at it at around 8:15 a.m. unpacking boxes and trying to figure out what I had.
This was also the first day of our two day carnival. It was nice to see all of the people from the village and some from other villages coming for the party. There were games for the kids, food vendors, junk vendors, and they raffled off a four wheeler. They had been planning a basketball tournament but not enough teams entered so they had a dance instead.
The two stores in the village both got shipments of supplies on that Friday. I did a little shopping and was surprised at how varied the prices are. Eggs were just under $3.00 per dozen but milk was over $3.00 per quart (yes, I said quart). Bread was 2 loaves for just under $6.00. So prices were not as bad as I thought they would be over all.
Since then I have been eating hamburgers and hotdogs and Chili Cheese Fritos. Before this shopping trip, then fresh food I had in the house was a bag of onions. I learned that when I like the food I’m eating, I tend to want to over eat. I guess I’ll go back to sardines and wheat crackers.
I woke up Sunday morning to no water in the house. Luckily, I keep water in the refrigerator so I was able to brush my teeth. My boss told me that it would be at least two more days before we get water. They have to fly the part in from Anchorage, install the part, fill the holding tank and administer the chemical dose. Then the chemicals have to settle before they can allow the people to consume the water. Great! No shower for the first day of class. At least I’m not alone.
By the way, I know what you’re thinking; “quit bitchin’ Jerry, you’re the one how wanted to go there.” You’re right, and a crummy day in Alaska is better than any day in Indiana. On that note, I will say good night.

6 comments:

Kelly Marie said...

Dear Jerry,

I'm sure that things will start to fall into place in the next few days. It sounds like you are having an adventure every day there!! I stopped by the learning center today and saw the new GA, Sara, working on some stuff. She definately isn't you, but I'm sure she'll be ok. On a more sour note, I haven't been feeling very well for about the last three weeks, so I decided to suck it up and go to the dreaded health center. Turns out, I have pneumonia. It's great. And for some reason after they diagnosed me, I have felt even worse. And to top things off, I am apparently am not covered under the insurance that my sperm donor is supposed to provide. So that means I have to pay for my meds, and I can't get a chest x-ray that the Dr. ordered. And one of my classes, adaptive physical activity, has been cancelled. And I was looking forward to it. And it is pouring down rain here. So I hate it. And I'm really looking forward to spring break. Bye, Kelly

Mary said...

Sounds like an adventure, but I'm sure you're enjoying yourself. Pam and I had a great time at the concert and I had a couple of Jello Shots at Brandon's wedding reception for you and Brenda Schlutt said she would have a couple of beers for you. I'm sure things will get better as time goes on, like always looking forward to your next post. Good Luck on your first day of class.

Love ya,

Mary

Kelly Marie said...

Oh, and I have started my own blogspot thingy. My site is www.adventurekelly.blogspot.com It should be mildly entertaining!

Dawn Frazier said...

I have been checking your blog hoping for new accounts of what's been going on. When I moved to Illinois from Texas, I was psyched when the stuff I'd sent myself came in. I LOVE getting packages in the mail. It's also cool to have people you love do those extra things to make you feel loved and remembered. The pictures and cards from your daughter-in-law were a very nice touch. When I was a freshman in college, not far from home but it felt like another planet, the women from church sent me a care package for Valentine's day
(I believe). Another package!!! Love them!

So, no doubt, you are in the midst be being introduced to your students. I can't wait to hear how things went.

Dawn

P.S. I think it is understandable to be a little worried about stuff like running water. It's funny how you can take everyday stuff for granted, like running water, or electricity when you flick the switch. The fact that folks have to fly the parts in is a trip. I imagine when the water does get turned on, you'll feel like clean, running water is better than sliced bread (a hometown saying from the deep south).

Courtney :) said...

Jerry!

We miss you so much at the LC and it is only Day 3!!!!!!! I had to post to your message so I could gloat about some good news. We had a meeting with Yasmin Tunc about our PPST Inquisit venture and we are almost ready!!!! She even dowloaded a couple of reading questions to the INQ website to show us what it would look like. It was awesome!!! So we are busy converting it to notepad so INQ will recognize it and adding the pics but very soon I will be a treekiller no more! Anyways, I thought you would like to know. I wanted to tell you that I admire your tenacity out there in Alaska. Who knows what words would come out of my mouth if I had no running water! The little kids would surely be frightened of me....so I best go back to the PPST stuff, but I wanted to say I miss you bunches and I can't wait to hear all about your students!
BYE!!!!! xoxoxoxo

Chrissy Duncan said...

Jerry!

I miss you so much. I hope everything has been going well for you. The honeymoon was good, except that it rained the entire time. But, I am glad to have my husband back in my life. I will be chekcing regularly for more blogs! I am working with Sara right now and she is cool, but she cannot compare to you. At least she knows and can compare with my hatred for History! I hope you got my card before you left. Is it possible for me to get your mailing address? Thanks!