Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Challenges of Relocating

August 3rd 2007
It dawned on me how large a mistake I made by not following my plan. By not getting my boxes mailed out earlier, I had nothing to unpack and set up nor did I have any food standing by. I still have four days before anything happens so I guess I’ll just hang out and watch the locals.
I went for a walk around the village last night at around 8:00. Since there was still four hours of daylight left in the day I figured that I might as well make use of them. There is one main gravel road here that goes to the airstrip and the rest are boardwalks. If I had to guess, I would guess that there is somewhere around two miles of boardwalk in the Village of Atmautluak. These are more than walkways though; they serve as racetrack for four wheelers and bicycles and as playground and jogging track. The boardwalks connect to each house in town and there is a wider part, like a drive way or parking pad for the resident’s four wheeler.
The houses are on stilts of various sorts but all are about three or more feet off of the ground. I guess this is so the heat from the house will not thaw the permafrost. The “yard” between the houses is probably three times that of the typical suburban neighborhood. Most homes had a fish drying shelter and a walk-in smoke house. There seemed to be a boat or two, a snowmobile or two, and a four wheeler or two per household. A few homes had those six wheeled amphibious vehicles in the yard as well. I also saw cars and trucks. They looked mostly like junk vehicles but it is possible that they are used after the ground freezes.
I slept pretty well last night. I decided to sleep on the couch because I like them better than beds. Since Pam is not here to make me come to bed I didn’t. Besides, the couch is much cozier than the bed. I discovered that I need a night light in the bathroom.
I have failed to describe my new home for you. Hot pink, is all I can say. The majority of the living room and adjacent kitchen is a very fun pink color. My guess is that the previous resident, Susan Haas (she left a bunch of stuff behind is how I know her name), wanted to end the boredom of plain white walls and her apartment her way. I’m good with that. I’m good because I don’t get excited about painting and have no desire to give the place a new color.
The layout of the place is like two single wide mobile homes side-by-side with a common roof. My side is long and narrow with the kitchen toward the entry and the bedroom at the opposite end. These are simple, functional accommodations with no frills. I am happy to report that I have running water, a flush toilet, a shower, and a washer / dryer set. The heat is fuel oil and the stove is electric. I don’t have and air conditioner for obvious reasons.
Since I have been here, the temperature has been in the mid sixties during the day and the high fifties at night. It has rained off and on since Bethel and I don’t think it will quit until it freezes.
The kids here play wherever they want for as long as they want. I was pouring down rain and these three little boys were outside playing in t-shirts like nothing was happening. There must be hardy people.
I talked to my wife today! Boy, do I ever feel better! I also learned that my first shipment was delivered, but not to me. Someone named Raymond T. signed for it so I went looking for Raymond T. I spoke with the construction workers, the proprietors at the local stores, the Post Master, and anyone else who would listen but no Raymond T. So I called the UPS Store in Bethel and spoke with a lady who knew absolutely nothing. I’ll try again tomorrow with a fellow named John at the UPS Store; he is supposed to know something according to the ladies who did not. On the bright side, I got to meet a lot of people today.

4 comments:

meadowmuffin said...

Hey sorry to here you haven't received your boxes yet. I hope you get them soon. I guess sending UPS is a no go. I hope you are getting to learn alot and are not getting down. I love you very much. Sabrina and I sent out 3 more boxes today mail you should get them by Wednesday. The way you describe the apartment has me a little confused is it to apartments? Or do you have double wided. Have you spoke with the other new teacher that you flown in with. I guess the kids find these to do since they don't get the game boys ebox etc. Which is alot better.

I love you and I felt better after talking to you on the phone. I worry about you all the time. Crazy I know since you are a grown up. Well I'm going to go for now. Love you very much

Anonymous said...

Only a true man could live in a house that is all pink....ha ha...maybe not...anyways, i am glad you made it safely. I have been feverishly searching out info about alaska and what it is going to take to get me up there. Iguess we now know why the people are subsistance hunters....That is a whole lot of cash for a little bit of food. If you ever want anything such as beef jerky, or dehyrated fruit or something of that nature i would be more than happy to send it to you. If i get a deer this year i will send you some.I love you dad. Be safe.

Anonymous said...

hey dad, one more thing tonight. I know it is too late since you are already in alaska but i found this forum, even though it is realitively useless it is kinda neat you should check it out http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/46317-what-must-one-has-take-moving.html

Anonymous said...

hey...this is brooke and the girls we just wanted to drop in and tell you HAPPY BIRTHDAY...it's 10:40 here so we're up and playing...we really miss you...and hope you are doing great not well...talk to you later...we love you