Sunday, September 6, 2009

Little Kids, Dogs, and Drunks

Pam and I were walking through one of the two local stores the other day. The day was sunny, warm, and beautiful. It was a good day to be out and about. While at the store a small child strayed away from her mother and toddled over to visit me. I chatted at her for a few seconds before her mom realized that she was gone and zipped over to get her. I thought about how common an occurrence that was for me. Kids seem to find me and hang around me everywhere I go, for as long as I remember. Pam and I left that store and went to the other store, so we could save 20 cents on something we didn't need.

When we got out of the car at the second store a loose dog came over to me to say hi. I rubbed the dog on the head and patted its should while told it what a good dog it was. The dog wagged its tail and trotted off. It dawned on me that I am often visited by dogs, cats, and other critters and they seem to like me. It has always been that way.

As we walked into the store we noticed a couple of men on the deck, near the store's entrance, who appeared to be quite drunk. The drunks that hang out around the stores are normally peaceful and waiting for someone to pick them up. However, I seem to be a magnet for drunks too. They usually salute me and then become my best friend. Why they salute is a mystery and why they feel the need to give me advice is also a mystery. The fellow I met on this day insisted I should kiss my wife every day and I should always love her. Good advice. It so happens that this guy hit the nail on the head because I do kiss my wife as often as I can and love her no matter what. He was so insistant on his advice that he kept sharing his message until I drove out of the parking lot. A drunk guy who adopted me last week, at 10:00 a.m., advised me to get everything the Army owes me, because they are bastards and they will rip me off. I'm certain that he didn't know who I was or that I spent time in the Army, but blurted out the right words despite his ignorance. Weird huh?

So, what is it about little kids, dogs, and drunks that they are all attracted to me? Could it be that they think I have a surplus of love or wisdom and they could use some of it? Perhaps they have extra of love or wisdom and they think I need it. Whatever the case is, I seem to be getting my fair share of it. I think that makes me a lucky man.

1 comment:

Sarah Saylor said...

Hey Uncle Jerry,
Grace wanted me to let you know that she has her first ever male teacher for 3rd grade! She is very excited.
Tell Aunt Pam we said "Hello."
Love-Sarah